International Jock

Monday, January 22, 2007

Wonder Jock Review




aussieBum is a great line of men's underwear from Down Under. I've written about their products and innovations many times. Now I have finally had the chance to try some of their latest designs. That's right you guessed it, the Wonder Jock (also known as the Patriot, I guess technically the style is the Patriot and the technology is the Wonder Jock).

First off these things fit like a glove. The fit is excellent. aussieBum runs a little small (than what most men are used to), however the ribbing in the fabric allows for movement and does not constrict. The inside workings (the "wonder" part) fits well, unlike the Alio pocket. The fabric is nice and soft. They are so comfortable that you barely even realize that you are wearing anything. The only thing that you notice at all is that there is this strange "lifted" sensation down under (if you know what I mean). It's not a negative sensation, it's actually quite pleasant once you get used to it, it makes you feel supported. It's just that one isn't generally used to being so supported that it takes a little getting used to. I imagine that the cup feels something like wearing the sock jock. It really is basically just a jockstrap (without the straps) built right into the inside of a pair of briefs. I really didn't notice any visible enhancement, but I did physically feel lift. So I'm not sure if they did what they claim to do or not, but they are quite comfy.

The style is great. They are very fashionable. I just love the contrasting piping and the use of the ribbed material. Very Aussie and very fashionable. My only real complaints are these:
  • They are too patriotic for everyday wear, I really don't like how the waistband says "property of ____ (fill in country of choice here)". They're OK for Independence day, but for everyday they're just too patriotic for my taste (I guess they are called "The Patriot", but I really would like this technology just implemented into their classic briefs).
  • The color choice is very limited. I really like all the fun colors that their normal line of briefs offers. Also I don't necessarily want a Germany brief if I want a black brief.
  • Also, they only come in brief style, currently. So this complaint I can waive because I know for sure that they will be coming out in a hipster style because it was in their podcast on 1/1/07. I don't know when the hipster will come out, but I know that it has been made and manufactured (because it was given out in the podcast).
While I'm talking about the Podcast, I just want to go on a little tangent about that. I recently found the aussieBum video podcast, it is great. A few of the episodes involve them cruising the beaches to give men some new undies. Most of the time they find that the men weren't even wearing any underwear to begin with (*gasp*). So they fix them up with some great new underwear which the men promptly show them off for the cameras. It's a really fun, unique spin on the podcast.

I have no complaints about the quality of the Wonder Jocks. They are excellent quality from down under for down under. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Patriot hipster!

The value is very good at 15.72 a brief (+ shipping).

MY RATING:
Overall, I give the aussieBum Patriot briefs a total score of 9 based on the following criteria:
FIT -- 10 (out of 10)
COMFORT -- 9 (out of 10)
STYLE -- 9 (out of 10)
QUALITY -- 10 (out of 10)
VALUE -- 10 (out of 10)
********** 9

Poll of the Day:
What do you think of the "enhancement" trend in the men's underwear world?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.
i love very much AussieBum
wearing all the classic undies (the 12 colours)
think the wonderjock is a very good one but I don't like the waistband (property of ...) is too much.

Anonymous said...

I really like the pouch. It reminds me of those tiny Go Softwear briefs. I'd like to try some out. Does Aussiebum sell in stores, or is it just online?

UMan said...

taf75 - do you have one in every color? Aren't they just great. But really they need to change the waistband on the wonder jock to the classic waistband

Anonymous - On Aussiebum's website they say that they sell at a number of stockists around the world, but they don't say where they are (you may want to email them and ask). So your best bet is to buy online. There are many online stores out there that sell them. Hope that helps.